Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Whole30 - Day 4

It's the weekend! Saturdays mean lazy mornings. I stayed up way past my usual bedtime last night, so my body wanted to sleep until 9am. That's late for me. I guess if your body needs the sleep, you let it sleep.

I started off the day by figuring out our menu for the week. I looked through my Pinterest boards for some recipes/ideas. I did some other pinning of foods to make post-Whole30. I just know I will be limiting the intake of Paleo goodies after this is all over. My mindset is already shifting after 4 days. I realize I don't need those foods. I'm satisfied without the sweets.

At 9:30, I figured I better get a start on breakfast. We had some bell peppers and diced onions in the fridge, along with leftover turkey burgers from last night. So I got to work putting something together. Pictures and description in the menu below.

After cleaning up from breakfast, we both did our daily squats (and my sit-ups and push-ups). I'm challenging myself to 100 squats, 100 sit-ups and 25 push-ups everyday this year. It takes 21 days to create or break a habit. I'm focused and driven right now, so I have no doubt about it. My husband is doing 275 squats per day. That's crazy! My legs are pretty sore with just doing 100 per day. We relaxed for a while. I finished writing my grocery list. Since we were running low on food, I suggested we go to Whole Foods for lunch and run a few errands. The salad bar is a great option. So is rotisserie chicken. After lunch and errands, I dropped my husband off at home before going to my regular grocery store (Sprouts). By the time I got home and put all the groceries away, it was time to make dinner. I'm finally sitting down while watching "Hot Tub Time Machine" on Comedy Central. Hilarious!

Breakfast: I sauteed some diced onions, green and yellow bell peppers and some spinach in a little bit of coconut oil. I threw a diced tomato on top. Heated up a turkey burger from last night for us to share. I fried one egg each. I also tried these Paleo English Muffins. They didn't turn out as expected. I only ate 1/2 of mine, because it just wasn't great. Maybe I should have used a narrower/smaller bowl so they would have been thicker. I gave it a shot.

Lunch: I decided to make a huge salad from the salad bar. Mixed greens and spinach as my base. Then I went a bit crazy with toppings. Peaches, mangoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, shredded beets, roasted chicken, hard boiled egg, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Tessemae's just so happened to be sampling their dressings when we got to Whole Foods. I really liked the Cracked Pepper dressing, but have also heard good things about the Zesty Ranch. I topped my salad with some of the Zesty Ranch. These dressings are olive oil-based and would be easy to make at home.


Dinner: I made Paleo Steak Tips with Mushroom Gravy by The Preppy Paleo. This dish was flavorful. The meat was tender. I give this meal an A+. I made cauliflower "rice" and broccoli on the side. I did have to add a little arrowroot (mixed with cold water) to thicken the gravy. It just wasn't thickening on its own. After dinner, we had some blackberries and cantaloupe. Blackberries are so incredibly sweet. I'm realizing that fruit makes great treats.

I did snack a little today. I had a few Pizza and Sunflower Flax Snax. I also ate a handful of Lemon and Chocolate Super Cookies. Whole30-friendly (in moderation, of course). I took a few sips of my Strawberry Kombucha as well. 

Overall, I'm feeling good. I plan on running 5-6 miles tomorrow. Forecasted high is close to 50 degrees. Just have to finish before the Colts playoff game at 11am. 

One last thing, I'm making bone broth for the first time ever! It's simmering in my dutch oven and takes 20 hours! We'll have bone broth at 4pm tomorrow. 

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment