Pages

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Whole30 - Day 11

Saturday mornings are glorious! I slept until 8:30 today. Last night, I took some allergy medicine, because I've been thinking I can't sleep because of the shots I'm getting. The medicine definitely helped me sleep. I felt well-rested this morning, as compared to previous mornings this week.

I felt like eating breakfast first thing. I had every intention of doing a workout at some point, but... that didn't happen. At least I did my 100 squats, 100 sit-ups and 25 push-ups for the day. After breakfast, I wrote my grocery list and got ready to brave the bitter cold. I had won a 40% off any Desigual item at Details Boutique during their 12 Days of Christmas. It had to be used by 1/31, so I thought this weekend was a perfect time to check out their inventory. I found a clearance shirt and a second one to use the 40% discount. There's also a meat shop on that side of town called Tony's Market. Since I was on that side of town, I thought I should check it out. They have all kinds of fresh meats and seafood. They grind all of their meats fresh daily. They sell some game meat. Tony's also has a small produce section, grocery section, prepared foods and a large dessert case. As a Paleo person, I was there for the meat! I bought chicken breast (antibiotic and hormone-free), ground turkey, grass-fed ground beef, sugar-free tomato basil chicken sausage and sugar-free Italian sausage. I wanted to swing by Rosey's boutique at the mall, since they were having a huge sale. I found the cutest animal print shirt. It'll go well with leggings. It was about 33% off, which is pretty good. I rarely ever will pay full price for clothing. After that, I went to the grocery store to stock up for the week. I ran into a friend of mine who also happens to eat Paleo. We kept following each other around the store, since we eat such similar foods!

My purchases for the day: 40% off, 70% off, 33% off.

Breakfast: I've had eggs all week. I wanted something a little different. I know Dallas & Melissa at Whole30 may not like "pancakes" for breakfast. The goal of Whole30 is to "restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, calm systemic inflammation and put an end to unhealthy cravings, habits, and relationships with food." I doubt that having Paleo Pancakes every once in a while will make me crave desserts or treats. For me, food = fuel. The better choices I make will get my farther in my workouts. I found these 3-ingredient pancakes. Ripe banana, almond butter and an egg. I added some cinnamon and vanilla extract to the mix. With our pancakes, we ate two all-beef snack sticks and a little bowl of blueberries.
Snack: Carrot Cake Larabar - delicious. I was running errands/shopping, so it was an easy snack to eat while driving.

Lunch: I ate lunch super late. I got home from the grocery store at nearly 4pm. I reheated some of last night's leftovers and had some cantaloupe. I took it to the neighbor's to eat while watching the second half of the Broncos game.

Dinner: The game ended pretty late. I think it was the longest football game ever (ok, not really, but it was over 4 hours). My husband was coming back from watching the game with his dad and was hungry, so I got started on dinner pretty fast. I made my own recipe for portobello mushroom casserole. Instead of stuffed mushrooms, I just mixed everything together into a baking dish (everything pre-cooked) and topped it with cashew "alfredo" sauce and some almond meal mixed with olive oil. I baked it in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes. It added a nice crunch to the dish.
It doesn't look very pretty, but it tasted amazing! I had a lot of extra liquid because I didn't drain my diced tomatoes. Next time, I will drain them. 

I watched the Broncos game with my awesome neighbors and a few of their friends. It was a fun time hanging out with them. We'll probably watch the Super Bowl with them too. Like I mentioned yesterday, we have some cool neighbors. Next door. Across the street. Down the street. This neighborhood rocks! 

I plan on hitting the hay in a few minutes. Sundays are long run days - so I'm thinking a 7-mile treadmill run is in store for me. It's going to be bitter cold tomorrow, so no running outside for this girl. I want to use tomorrow to do some food prep for the week and make some Whole30-approved banana muffins. I'm also making Banana Nut Porridge for breakfasts. It sounds promising. I'm sick of eating eggs every single morning, so trying to add in some variation. It'll help me get through the first half of the challenge. It's exciting to be doing a Whole30 right now, because there are a handful of other Paleo bloggers doing it at the same time. That means really great food ideas/recipes. Check out Against All GrainKate's Healthy Cupboard and Paleo Savvy. All are doing Whole30's this month.

Hope you all had a great Saturday! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment