Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Whole30 - Day 12

Morning
I took some allergy medicine again last night to ensure I slept well, since I've been missing a lot of sleep lately. Boy, did I sleep! I slept nearly 10 hours last night. My body is feeling a bit worn out today, even with a day of rest yesterday from working out. I really need to get in a long run today and it'll have to be on the treadmill. Breakfast first. I made Against All Grain's Banana Nut Porridge.

After eating, my stomach was a little uneasy so I relaxed for a bit to allow my stomach to calm down. I laid in bed and watched Home Alone. I've watched this movie so many times. It's definitely a childhood classic. I made the executive decision to postpone my long(ish) run until tomorrow or Tuesday. I can probably squeeze in a 5-mile run in the morning or during lunch. Instead, I set up the bike trainer in the living room and did 3x20 minutes on the bike with squats, sit-ups and push-ups in between sets. I watched the Ohio State vs. Michigan basketball game while riding, so it made the time go by quickly.

Afternoon
I heated up some leftovers for lunch and watched football. After eating, I prepped a couple small spaghetti squashes to roast in the oven while I showered. When those came out, I made Banana Muffins. Use all baking soda with some Cream of Tartar instead of baking powder to make it 100% Paleo. I needed something different for breakfasts this week and thought these would do the trick. They're wholesome and healthy without any added sugars (other than the sweetness from the bananas).


There may be some controversy over making muffins while on Whole30. I strongly believe that Whole30 can be a sustainable lifestyle with some flexibility in how foods are prepared. Who cares what form the ingredients take? I could eat a handful of cashews and a banana with an egg for breakfast and it would be Whole30, but I can't turn those ingredients into a muffin with additional spices? Really? Why be so strict? Honestly, it makes me not want to associate with Whole30 when you are so anal about the form of foods. Yes, I did just say anal. This is directed towards specific individuals in the Whole30 community who live and breathe Whole30. I just wanted to clear the air on the muffins so others don't have to critique my food choices. The benefits I'm reaping from Whole30 so far are immense. I no longer feel the need or desire to have a "dessert" or "treat" everyday. I have broken away from my sugar addiction. My taste buds are definitely resetting from just cutting out the honey, maple syrup and coconut sugar that I used in/on my foods previously. Isn't that the point of Whole30? I have a healthier relationship with the food I eat. I understand the decisions I make are going to impact the way I feel. Food can be a poison, but it can also be a powerful medicine and fuel. It's all about the choices you make everyday. Do I really want to eat that Paleo doughnut or cookie knowing it's not the best nutrition? Most likely not. Every once in a while, it's ok to indulge. Moderation and variety are the keys to any lifestyle.

Moving on... While the muffins were baking, I prepared cauliflower "rice" for a meal later this week. When the muffins came out of the oven, I threw some red bell peppers into the oven to roast for a soup later this week as well. I also made some Herb Crackers to eat with our soup. They're so easy to make and taste amazing. I had to taste a few to make sure they were good. I used a combination of herbs: minced dried onion, garlic powder, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme and sea salt. Incredible!

All in all, I'd say it was a productive day in the kitchen.

Breakfast: As I mentioned above, I made Against All Grain's Banana Nut Porridge. I topped mine with a little bit of unsweetened shredded coconut and berries (combo of blueberries and blackberries).
Lunch: Leftover portobello mushroom casserole after my workout. It did the trick.
Snack: Handful (or two?) of roasted unsalted cashews, one fresh-out-of-the-oven banana muffin and about half a Kombucha.
Dinner: We ate a salad of mixed greens, tomato, avocado and chicken with a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper. For the chicken, I made nuggets out of antibiotic- and hormone-free chicken breast. I dipped them in egg and seasoned almond flour. Cooked them in a pan with olive and grapeseed oil. So good.

I'd have to say today was a day of delicious food. My taste buds have been dancing with all the flavors.

What was the best part of your weekend? Did you eat something really amazing? Do something fun or extraordinary? My favorite part of the weekend was my little shopping excursion yesterday where I took my time and enjoyed the moment. A close second was sleeping in both days.

Off to bed. Work comes way too fast. Good night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment