Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Whole30 - Day 25, Weekly Meal Plan and My Basic Paleo Chili

Hey everyone! My apologies for the delay. I came down with a sore throat yesterday afternoon and ended up lying down for bed at about 6:45pm. I skipped dinner (we ate a late lunch). I didn't sleep right away, but when I finally did, I slept for 11 hours straight. 

Yesterday morning was spent meal planning and grocery shopping. Here's our meal plan for the week.

Breakfasts each day: Baked egg casserole with zucchini, red bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach and natural chicken hot dogs (I can't find sugar free sausage and US Wellness Meats is out of stock). May supplement with grapefruit or berries and avocado.
Sunday night: Chicken minestrone soup
Monday night: Paleo tacos served inside of Pure Coconut Wraps (grass-fed ground beef, lettuce, avocado, tomatoes and salsa.
Tuesday night: Almond butter and strawberry burgers (grass-fed ground beef) on green leaf lettuce with baked sweet potato fries.
Wednesday night: Chicken pot pie casserole (onion, garlic, parsnips, carrots, celery, mushrooms, spinach, cashew and chicken broth sauce with an almond flour crust on top). 
Thursday night: Mixed green salad with carrots, baked salmon, avocado, roasted red peppers, celery and lemon-olive oil dressing. 
Friday night: Day 31 - will we stick to Whole30/Paleo meals or will we indulge in a "cheat" meal? We shall see. We have had Indian food on the mind lately. 

Here's what I ate yesterday... it wasn't a lot since I skipped a meal completely. 
Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Omelette with leftover sauteed veggies (onions, bell peppers, mushrooms) and avocado. The omelette didn't turn out very pretty... it didn't flip like I thought it would. It probably would have cooked better under the broiler than trying to flip it. 

Lunch: I made my Basic Paleo Chili (recipe below), served with diced grass-fed beef hot dogs and Paleo "corn" bread. It's made out of ground plantain chips... which I snacked on while making it. 


Evening snack: One orange for the Vitamin C. 

After eating the orange, I ended up gargling some lovely salt water. Yummy. I needed something to relieve some of the soreness in my throat. 



So, you're curious about the Paleo Chili? I threw this together last month and had to nail down the ingredients this time around.  

Basic Paleo Chili
3-4 servings
Rating: 10 clubs

Ingredients:
1 medium onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño, finely diced
1 lb. grass-fed ground beef
2 T. chili powder
1 ½ t. cumin
1 ½ t. paprika
1 t. oregano
1 t. dried parsley
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ cup chicken or beef broth

Instructions:
Heat a skillet or sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. When the ground beef is almost fully cooked, stir in the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño. Cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spices. Mix well to combine. Add the broth, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir everything together. I added a half can of water to thin it out a bit. (I was able to get more of the tomato sauce out of the can by doing so.) This is completely optional. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I like to serve our chili with Applegate’s Organic All-Beef Hot Dogs and Skillet Plantain Bread (Paleo version of cornbread). 

Enjoy! I'm off to heat up some beef stew for lunch and take a long hot shower. Here's to hoping I kick this sore throat and fatigue very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment