Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

Paleo Stir Fry


I'm a big fan of one-pot meals. I also love throwing veggies, meat and a sauce together. As I've said before, casseroles are one of my favorite types of dish. It's that Midwestern girl in me.

The recipe was dictated by what I had in my fridge at the time. It has most of the colors of the rainbow, so it's full of nutrients. The sauce was inspired by a peanut sauce. Obviously, we don't eat peanuts, so I had to adapt it a little. I researched different sauces and came up with my own unique creation. If the sauce is too thin from cooking the vegetables, then follow the directions below to add arrowroot as a thickener.

This dish is very flexible. You can change the veggies, depending on what you have and/or prefer. I've made this without broccoli before and it's still fantastic. I definitely suggest adding the roasted cashews on top. It adds a bit of additional crunch and flavor. Someone else has already made this dish, but added canned coconut milk and basil.


Paleo Stir Fry
Serves: 5-6

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 T. fat of choice (I use coconut oil)
  • 4-5 carrots, sliced
  • 4-5 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1 yellow squash, diced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 cups shredded cooked chicken or 1 ¼ pounds cooked ground turkey
  • 1 12 oz. package kelp noodles*
  • Chopped roasted cashews (optional, for garnish)


Sauce:
  • ½ cup almond butter
  • A few dashes of fish sauce
  • ¼ cup coconut aminos
  • 1 T. coconut vinegar
  • 1/8-1/4 t. red pepper flakes (depending on taste)
  • 1 T. arrowroot + 1 T. water (optional)


Directions:
  1. Melt fat of choice in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
  2. Add all veggies to pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes, or until veggies are tender. You can cover the pan to steam the vegetables. If so, just stir occasionally instead.
  3. Add in shredded chicken or ground turkey and distribute meat evenly thoroughly the stir fry.
  4. Follow the instructions on the kelp noodles (rinse and cut). Add them to the meat and veggies. Toss to combine.
  5. Add sauce ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Whisk everything together until smooth. Add to the stir fry. Mix until everything is coated. If the sauce is thin due to the water from the vegetables, mix 1 T. arrowroot with 1 T. cold water and then stir into the stir fry. It will thicken the sauce within a minute or two.
  6. Garnish individual servings with 2 T. roasted cashews.


I absolutely love this dish, because it's easy and delicious. If you chop your vegetables in advance, then the cooking will be a breeze. So many textures, flavors and colors in this dish. It's a beautiful mess on a plate.

Let me know what you add to your stir fry. Feel free to post pictures on my Facebook page. Please share this recipe with your friends and family and on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. I appreciate your help in helping build The Paleo Network. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The dish on these images is very attracting and it looks very interesting to cook. And it looks more delicious because of the design. I wish I could cook this right later.

    Stir Fry Sauce

    ReplyDelete