Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Paleo Strawberry Ice Cream



The temperatures are on the rise. Summer is on Spring's heels. What's more delicious on a warm summer afternoon than homemade ice cream? My strawberry ice cream is Paleo and only involves four ingredients. As long as your ice cream maker bowl/base has already been in the freezer, you'll have delicious ice cream within 30 minutes. I store my ice cream maker bowl in the freezer all the time when I'm not using it. That way I can make ice cream at any time when the mood strikes. If you don't have an ice cream maker yet, I highly recommend the Cuisinart ICE-21. Easy to use. Reasonably-priced. Fast.



Paleo Strawberry Ice Cream
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 ½ pounds fresh strawberries, tops cut off
  • ¼ - ½ cup raw, local honey
  • 1 t. vanilla extract


Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients to a blender (I used my Vitamix). Blend until pureed.
  2. Turn on ice cream maker per the manufacturer’s instructions.
  3. Pour ice cream mixture into your ice cream maker. (You may have a little extra – I just pour it into a mason jar and store it in the fridge. You can always drink it as strawberry milk).
  4. Let mixture churn in the ice cream maker for about 20 minutes (depends upon your ice cream maker's instructions).
  5. Scoop out into an airtight container.
  6. You can either serve it immediately as soft-serve or store it in the freezer for a couple hours so it’ll be more of a hard ice cream consistency. Either way, you’re in for a real treat! 



                          Beginning                                                       End Result



I am looking forward to trying out new flavors over the summer. Cookie dough, perhaps? Maple pecan. Almond butter/chocolate ribbon vanilla ice cream. Mango. Blackberry.

Question of the day: What is your favorite kind of ice cream? As a child, I loved Oreo Cookie Blizzards or Breezes from DQ or Bonnie Doon's Cookie Dough Ice Cream (made in northern Indiana where I grew up). I still have a fondness for cookie dough ice cream. I also love chocolate ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment