Pages

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Paleo Hamburger Deluxe Meatza

Hamburgers. Pizza. Bacon. Combine it all together and you get a Hamburger Deluxe Meatza. I was inspired last week when I made PaleOMG's Meat Quiche Crust. I was so excited as I lied down for bed that night that I could hardly sleep. My mind started thinking of all the different creations for meatzas. I came up with this idea for a hamburger deluxe meatza. What does deluxe mean? I consider deluxe a hamburger with mushrooms, onions and bacon. I also knew I couldn't make a meatza without some sort of "cheese." I came up with a "cheddar cheese" sauce with raw cashews, nutritional yeast, basil, red bell pepper and garlic. Such a fantastic meatza. I can't wait to create my next one!

This recipe seems like it's labor-intensive. There are a few parts to making it. Some can be done in advance, such as: cooking the bacon and slicing the mushrooms and onions. Be sure to soak the raw cashews in a bowl of water. I typically do that part in the morning before going to work. If you plan a little bit, the cooking and assembly will be a breeze.


Hamburger Deluxe Meatza

Serves: 5-6

Ingredients:

Meatza Crust:
2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
1 egg
1 t. onion powder
1 ½ t. garlic powder
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Toppings:
2 T. fat of choice (I used coconut oil, though you could use bacon grease since you are cooking bacon)
2 onions, thinly sliced
3 Portobello mushroom caps, sliced
8 slices bacon, crumbled
1 15 oz. can sugar-free pizza sauce (I used Muir Glen Organic)

“Cheddar Cheese” Sauce:
1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 6 hours
1 small to medium red bell pepper, cut into a few large pieces
3 garlic cloves
2-3 T. fresh basil leaves
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375°F.

To make the crust:

  1. Mix all crust ingredients in a large mixing bowl. You may have to get your hands meaty in order to combine everything.
  2. Pour onto a rimmed metal baking sheet and spread into a thin, consistent layer. I used a 15.25” x 10.25” pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
  4. Drain off excess grease (there will be quite a bit).
To make your toppings:

  1. Cook your bacon. I prefer to bake it in the oven (this can be done in advance). If you cook it in the frying pan, you can use the leftover bacon grease to cook your onions and mushrooms. Once cooked, crumble and set aside.
  2. Melt fat of choice in a large pan over medium heat.
  3. Add your onions and toss in the fat so they’re all coated. Season with a dash of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
  4. Add sliced mushrooms and toss. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked.
  5. Set aside.
To make your “cheddar cheese” sauce:

  1. Drain and rinse the raw cashews. Add to a high-speed blender (I use my Vitamix). Add enough fresh water just to cover the top of the cashews. Blend until smooth.
  2. Add bell pepper, garlic, basil, nutritional yeast, sea salt and pepper. Blend until everything is incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
To assemble your meatza:

  1. Spread pizza sauce on top of your meat crust. You may not use all of the sauce, so save leftovers for another use.
  2. Add your mushrooms and onions atop the pizza sauce. Spread them evenly across the entire meatza.
  3. Ladle the “cheddar cheese” sauce over the top and cover the entire meatza. You'll have extra sauce. It can be used in/on omelettes in the morning. 
  4. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top.
  5. Put back into the oven for 6 minutes. Turn your broiler on high and cook for 4 more minutes.
  6. Cut into 5 or 6 pieces and enjoy! Serve with a simple side salad to round out the meal.


This meal was love at first bite. The meat crust was so incredibly moist (I was worried it would turn out dry). The pizza sauce blended perfectly with the “cheddar cheese” sauce. The bacon added a beautiful crunch. After making and devouring this meatza, I am even more excited to get to work on my next one. I have a really phenomenal idea in mind and hope it turns out as amazing as this one. 



If you like this recipe, please share on Pinterest and Facebook. I appreciate your support! 

1 comment:

  1. My wife made this the other night and it was awesome! It was hard for me to believe a meat crust would stay together the way it did, but it is like an actual meat crust.

    Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete