Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Broccoli, Bacon & Chives


Recipe ideas hit me at random times. I thought up this soup on a random afternoon at the office. It just popped into my head. Typically when this happens, I will write out the initial ingredients that I think would mesh well together. When I first thought of this recipe, I thought I would use mushrooms, potentially nutritional yeast and not use a rutabaga. The rutabaga came up when I thought of the hash brown alternatives. I'm going to jump in head first tonight with the recipe, because it's getting late and my 5:30am spin class will be here before I know it. 

Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Broccoli, Bacon & Chives
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
3 T. fat of choice (I used coconut oil)
1 onion, diced
1 rutabaga, diced
4 stalks celery, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
6 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
2 cups water
4 cups broccoli florets
12 slices of bacon (to garnish)
6 T. chives, green onions or scallions, chopped (to garnish)
1 t. dried rosemary
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
  1. Cook your bacon. I typically bake mine in the oven on a baking rack (over a pan, of course) for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees. If you prefer to fry bacon, you can do that. The point is to get the bacon cooking while tending to the soup. 
  2. Melt your fat of choice in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. 
  3. Add onion, rutabaga, celery and garlic to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes. Season with sea salt, pepper and rosemary. 
  4. Add the chicken broth, water and cauliflower to the pot. Bring to a boil and let simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft. 
  5. Blend the mixture with an immersion blender or in batches in your food processor or stand blender. Add back to the soup pot (still on medium heat). 
  6. Add broccoli florets to the soup. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until broccoli is tender to your liking. You can cover the pot with a lid to steam the broccoli. 
  7. Taste test the soup for seasonings. Make adjustments as needed. 
  8. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with two strips of crumbled bacon and a tablespoon of chives, green onions or scallions (I used chives). 
  9. Enjoy! 

This soup would be delicious with a slice of Paleo bread or Paleo biscuit. I have a few biscuit and bread recipes that I love. This one (without the honey for a more savory taste), this one or maybe this one

My bed is calling my name. Must get a good night's rest tonight. Have a good week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment