Creamy Tomato Soup with Spinach and Grass-fed Ground BeefServes: 5-6
Paleo Rating: 9 Clubs
- 2 T. olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 T. fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups cashew cream (instructions below)
- 3 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 1/4 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Saute veggies until tender and onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking, brown the ground beef in a separate pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes and basil to the veggie mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Puree the soup with an immersion (hand) blender or blend in batches in your food processor or regular blender.
- Add the spinach and ground beef to the soup. Allow the spinach to wilt.
- Add the cashew cream and stir.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
To make the cashew cream:
You'll need 1 cup of raw cashews, soaked in water for at least 6 hours (you could do this the night before or the morning of and leave it all day). Drain and rinse them. Put them in your high-speed blender (I have a Vitamix) and cover with cold water. Blend until smooth. That's all there is to it. You may have a little extra, but it can be used in your morning omelettes. Just mix it with some nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavor.